Tuesday 8 March 2011

Langley Mill Railway Sidings

Well, well, well ... another week of near constant noise.

I was going to wait until the end of the week to publish this post but I see a few people have been trying to find out what this week's noise is all about so I'll just add a bit each day and maybe save the grumpiest bits until last - here goes:

My Latest Nosy Noisy Diary:
.....

Monday:
The first thing I saw upon waking and looking through the bedroom window; was the portaloo stood standing all by itself on the old Asda/rg group construction car park. Then I realised that there were men milling around being relatively quiet ... it was still early - well, my early.

About 11.00-ish, I noticed that a huge digger had turned up, and blow me if the heap of scrap from Heanor Haulage went around to do a bit of shoving muck about - mostly toward the bridge from the rec and proceeded to pile it up along Pottery Lane fence, hmm more heaps.

My grumpy old man went to make enquiries as to what was happening and was told there would be lorries coming tomorrow, because apparently they've got to remove the 3ft deep 100's of yards long and about 50ft wide heap of waste - and they're going to plant trees along the edge ... I'm completely flabbergasted - what a huge surprise.
.....

Tuesday 7.04am:
Oh, chuffin heck, I'm bloody awake ... the second lorry was being filled. Yes I did say second, I'd managed to sleep through the first but my poor neighbour, ahem, didn't. 6.47am was the time they woke her.

After opening the blind in a disbelieving they-can't-really-be-working-this-early-the-stupid-tw*ts kind of way, I settled down with my mug of coffee and watched the proceedings with interest. I can say that at times it was extremely NOISY! This is because being men, they haven't yet learnt to stagger the work over a period. No, all ten or so lorries turned up to be filled at the same time.

They were gone for approximately an hour and a half. 'Oh, was it quiet then?' I hear you ask. NO IT BLOODY WASN'T!! The digger just kept rearranging the heaps until the lorries all returned. Oh yeah, and the Leedale Road sweeper was fannying about all day.


The tw*t that drives/owns the mobile scrap heap - that he [and others] spent a week tinkering with and revving up - has got a Mr HH mentality for playing with his toys because he spent the afternoon playing on HH's back yard just bleep-bloody-bleeping backwards, brrrm, brrrming forwards and bleep-bloody-bleeping backwards, over and over again. There were witnesses who can confirm that I threatened to go over and fill his tank with sugar during the night ... These totally bribe-able people have promised not to give me away.
.....

Wednesday 6.47am:
Oooooer - déjà vu, I opened the blind and peered bleerily through the window - five lorries waiting and one being filled.
About 9.00am, Heanor Haulage and NM Construction men turned up to erect a new fence alongside the biggest heap of muck ... why? Curiously the lorries go past this huge heap to remove all the other waste. Some more trees that were in the way of the HH fence erection were savagely hoiked up by the digger and branches of bigger trees got zzzzz'd off

The noise continued all day but as yet I can't tell any difference in the amount of muck, it still looks like there's tons of the stuff left - hmm, I wonder where it's going ...
 .....

Thursday 6.50am:
Y-a-w-n, s-t-r-e-t-c-h ... All is quiet, where is everyone? Spoke too soon. There's the road sweeper taking a turn around the back of Asda - again and again. Apart from the two full KSD Recycled Aggregates lorries that presumably stayed overnight, there was no one else to be seen.

7.45 - Wagons roll! A Ward skip being delivered, then one straight after the other ... Bowring 1, John Wright [Ashfield Hauliers], Bowring 2, JC Balls & Sons - 1, 2 and 3 [yes, in that order].

They're a bit late. I presume that whoever had the keys to the gates at the top of the now PRIVATELY owned Wesley Street must have overslept - tut.

Anyway as the day progressed I noticed that the muck piles were going down - not necessarily away, mind you. The wind was blowing a fair amount over here [well, everywhere] - cough, cough.

Nice thought isn't it? All the waste dug out from Heanor Haulage - which incidentally was contaminated [according to the environment papers when Asda applied to build there. Oh yes, I do have a good memory for things I read ... such a shame]. First it was moved behind us, then dumped on the railway sidings, now it's being blown about whilst being rearranged by the digger - so it can waft through our windows and doors - before the lorries take it to [hopefully] its final resting place.

Can anyone tell me why the digger is parked on the biggest heap every night? Do they think someone is going to sneak in and pinch the muck while we all sleep? No - Oh I see, they're worried we might pinch the digger
.....
Friday 6.36am:
I'm getting tired of these early mornings now, I'm meant to be ASLEEP!!

Most of the usual tipper lorries turned up between 6.36 and 8.08. Grace Landscapes arrived at 8.40. No I'm still not being nosy, I'm just watching from my bed, it's the middle of my night!

Today I lost interest in the lorry activities and actually got some work done. Now Thursday was different, Thursday I could tell you exactly which lorry arrived and when it left, I was in nosy mode [actually I was trying to work out how much excavated waste was being shifted].

Grumpy had another sortie over to find out how much longer the job will take. He was told it should be finished by next Tuesday. The reason for the late start yesterday was the man with the keys was held up in traffic [accident during the night on M1].

There are four rows of mini trees [possibly hedgerow] planted along the edge of the railway sidings which leaves me to wonder what is going to happen to the bulk of the land.

Photos will be uploaded and possible overgrumpiness removed from this post when I get rid of my too-many-late-nights-and-ridiculously-early-mornings headache. In fact I may chop it into bits because it's getting t-o-o l-o-n-g ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, I'm very sensitive.