Friday 29 May 2009

Letter from some chap called Gordon Brown

I went to check the mail [real paper stuff through the letter-box type] this morning, there was only one letter for my other half from someone called Gordon Brown.

On my way back upstairs with this letter I shouted and asked if he knew anyone called Gordon Brown because he'd written to him.
'No' was the reply 'Oh maybe he's a friend of Judy's' [Mallaber].


"Dear Mr DooDah

I know that people are angry about MP's expenses. I apologise - on behalf of all parties - that the political system has let you and the public down.

Whatever party they belong to, MP's should never have spent taxpayers' money on clearing their moats or swimming pools, or paying phantom mortgages - and it's even worse at a time when ordinary families are worried about the impact of the recession.

Labour are determined to put things right - not through words, but through action. This is not a time for papering over cracks - it's a time for root and branch reform. And it's not just a question of paying back money. That's why Labour have suspended MP's who are suspected of wrongdoing.

Now more than ever, families in this community need our help through this recession. Labour will stand by you and your family - not walk on by as the Conservatives did in the 1990s."

There was more in the letter about promises by the Labour party, plus more calling of the Conservatives.


Don't they get it yet? No-one trusts either party now. I hope they haven't wasted yet more taxpayers money by sending out these letters of apology to every household in the country. They're a joke!

The system of MP's expenses is a complete shambles, probably instituted years gone by when MP's did need a second home in London + the expense of keeping it because it took days rather than hours to reach London. Now with travel being so much quicker and this amazing high speed Internet thingy to keep in touch, I don't think there's the same need for second or third homes complete with an army of cleaners at our expense.

Why do they get so much expense allowance anyway? I get bugger all. I've got a second home [tin shack in an old turnip field] but I clean it myself, I must look into what expenses I can claim for it.

I think one of my [slightly] crumblier friends has got the best idea -
Put all MP's in a block of flats and bus them into work EVERY morning.

And where does Gordon Brown get the idea that "we and? the public" are "ordinary" families? Are they implying that they, the MP's are better than we mere mortals? "papering over cracks" "time for root and branch reform" Who actually wrote that drivel? I could do better writing it backwards with my left hand and with my eyes shut [am so ahem, gifted].

I'm not into politics, I put all the 'please vote for me' bumf straight into the recycling bag. I wouldn't know Gordon Brown if I bumped into him on the street. I don't even know who the leader of the Conservative party is. If this makes me ignorant, well I don't really care.

My, my getting that off my chest does feel good. this is one happy 'Grumpy Old Woman' today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, I'm very sensitive.